Mold is one of those alarming words that any homeowner fears. While mold is essential to breaking down organic materials outdoors, mold exposure is not something fun for your home.
The Dangers of Unattended Mold
In some cases, mold in your home can make you sick, but especially if you have allergies or asthma. Whether or not you’re allergic to molds, consistent mold exposure can irritate your eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs, possibly causing shortness of breath or respiratory illnesses.
The most common way for mold to cause illness is through airborne spores that can make it into your airways and sinuses. Keeping this in mind, mold loves growing in dark, moist places, making vents and ductwork an ideal breeding ground.
How Can You Tell If You Have Mold?
Mold can spread to just about any surface if you allow it. If you check over your home and see signs of mold or mildew, consider professional services to clear it out. If you are smelling something musty or are seeing spots or discoloration in parts of your home, it’s time to take action. Professional testing and inspection will be able to tell you for certain if you have mold in your home.
What Can You Do to Keep Your Home Mold Free?
You should regularly have your heating and cooling systems inspected for leaks, cleanliness, and efficiency. Hiring a professional N.A.D.C.A. (National Air Duct Cleaners Association) certified air duct cleaning company to clean and treat your system is highly recommended. Once all the dust, dirt, and debris has been removed from your system, they can treat your system with a microbial control component. Before hiring, always make sure that the product they are using is EPA registered for the use in ductwork.
While getting rid of 100% of all mold spores indoors is impossible, you can prevent their growth. As mentioned, mold thrives on moisture. Use dehumidifiers and air conditioners, especially in hot, humid climates, to reduce moisture in the air. Keep indoor humidity below 60% if possible. Preventative measures for keeping mold away is to ventilate moisture-prone areas as much as possible. This can include your basement, bathroom, or even your kitchen sink. You should also avoid letting damp fabrics sit too long without drying them.
If you have questions about your home or if you are dealing with mold exposure, you can always have professionals at Air Duct Maintenance, Inc. give your vents an inspection and cleaning.